Organizations & Companies
Welcome to some of the world's leading tap dance organizations. This list is comprised of a few of the world's professional dance companies, educational organizations and festivals that keep the metai to the floor.
- The American Tap Dance Foundation - Formerly the American Tap Dance Orchestra and founded by Brenda Bufalino is based in New York City with the purpose of demonstrating that a symphony of sound could be created using a dozen or so dancers executing polyrhythms. ATDF is also home to Tap City and numerous annual performance and educational programs.
- Barbara Duffy & Company - Inspired by Gregory Hines to create a women's tap company, Barbara started working with some of her best friends and fellow leading female tap dancers in New York City in 2000.
- Beantown Tapfest - Boston's annual summer tap dance festival directed by Julia Boynton.
- Bill Evans Dance - Directed by modern dance pioneer and tap dance artist Bill Evans.
Camut Band - Specializes in tap dance and percussion.
- Chicago Tap Theatre - Under the direction of Mark Yonally, a non-profit 501(c)3 with a multifaceted mission to preserve America's indigenous dance form through story-based shows and presentation.
Chicago Human Rhythm Project - Based in Chicago, Illinois and directed by Lane Alexander CHRP is one of the largest tap organizations globally presenting and producing numerous performances and educational programs annually. CHRP is also the home of BAM! - a professional tap dance company.
- Columbus Taps! - Central Ohio's annual tap festival.
- CPD Plus - Cats Paying Dues is under the direction of Andrew Nemr and based in NYC, NY.
Flying Foot Forum - a noted tap repertory company, the Flying Foot Forum showcases Minnesota-based choreographer Joe Chvala's work.
Footnotes Tap Ensemble - A non-profit professional tap company founded by Robin Vail and Mimi Benjamin in 2002.
- Footworks Dance Ensemble - Predominantly stepdance and clogging, but includes rhythm tap.
- Hawaiian Islands Tap Festival - Maui's own annual tap experience!
Hip Tap Project - Tap dance, hip-hop, body percussion and live music based in Paris, France and under the direction of Leela Petronio.
- Jazz Tap Center - Avi Miller and Ofer Ben direct the home of the Dansky and Miller and Ben tap shoes and The Tap Dance Experience.
Jazz Tap Ensemble - One of the pioneer tap dance companies in the world under the direction of Lynn Dally.
Keanesense of Rhythm - A tap company is based in Minneapolis, MN and co-directed by Ellen Keane and Cathy Keane-Wind. Their work includes concert tap and comedy dance.
- LA Tap Festival - In conjuction with the Debbie Allen Dance Academy, this annual rhythm event is under the directon of Jason Samuels-Smith and Chloe Arnold.
- MaD Theatricals - A unique collaboration of nationally and internationally celebrated jazz tap artists and musicians including Brenda Bufalino and Josh Hilberman, under the direction of dancer Drika Overton and musician and composer Paul Arslanian.
- Manhattan Tap - Under the direction of Heather Cornell and founded in 1986, Manhattan Tap is a major force not only in NYC, but also in the international tap community.
- Melbourne Tap Dance - Tap Company based in Melbourne, Australia directed by Winston Morrison and Grant Swift. Producing shows, jams and masterclasses and the continuation of the Melbourne International Tap Festival. Join them for their live classes, regular newsletter educating the tap community about tap dance legends and routine instructional videos.
National Tap Ensemble - Based in the Washington, D.C. area, this multi-ethnic company is directed by Chris Baker and features master dancers and musicians spanning three generations.
North Carolina Youth Tap Ensemble - Founded in 1983 by artistic director Gene Medler, the NCYTE serves to entertain, inform and preserve tap through their wide performance range.
- Rhapsody In Taps - Based in Los Angeles, CA. Linda Sohl-Donnell is choreographer and Artistic Director.
- Rhythm Explosion - Under the direction of Katherine Kramer, Rhythm Explosion brings together an international group of choreographers, musicians; performers, educators and students, in a cooperative community to study, perform and create new work.
Rhythm In Shoes - Based in Ohio includes tap, step dancing and integrated humorous skits under chhoreographer/founder Sharon Leahy.
- Roxanne Butterfly's World Beats - Brings tap dance back to Africa while exploring mediterranean roots through a unique blend of flamenco, north-African grooves, poetry and visuals.
- Rumbatap - Created by Max Pollak and inspired by the intense energy of Afro-Cuban culture.
- San Francisco Tap Dance Center - Home of Rosie Radiator and the RadTap® Team and their many projects.
- Southeastern Tap ExPlosion, Inc. - Based in Atlanta, GA, this organization is dedicated to bringing rhythm tap to dancers of all levels with the goal to promote tap and increase the understanding and appreciation of tap as an art form.
- Stepology - Founded in 2003 and based in San Francisco, California, USA, Stepology began with a goal to preserve and propel American tap dance.
- Tafel 9 - Using tap shoes as their instrument, Tafel 9 creates a musical ensemble of sound and rhythm that can extend from a robust house number to samba or blues.
- Tap & Tray - Working together for 20 years, Kurt Albert and Klaus Bleis inherited their vaudevillian specialty – dancing wildly while spinning large silver trays – from their late mentor, the great Carnell Lyons from Kansas City, Missouri.
Tapage - Tapage’s choreographic approach incorporates dramatic intensity and rhythmic complexity with a contemporary gesture. A unique percussive dance duo, choreographers/dancers Mari Fujibayashi and Olivia Rosenkrantz combine their Asian and European roots with a New York twist.
- Tapaholics - Michael Minery's tap company.
Tap Olé - Explores the fusion between two cultures of different styles: Spanish music and Tap dance demonstrating that the mixture is a universal language, which we blend creating new destinies and sensations.
- Tapestry Dance Company - Based in Austin, TX, TDC is one of the nation's only full-time professional, tap dance companies in North America founded in 1989 by rhythm tap dancer Acia Gray and ballet/jazz artist Deirdre Strand. Also home to the Soul to Sole Festival.
- Tap Fusion - Directed by Barry Blumenfeld, this company brings together both modern dance and tap.
- Tap Kids - Since its debut at The Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center in 2002, and directed by Lisa Hopkins, this show has enjoyed tremendous success across the country and abroad, thrilling audiences of all ages with their incredible talent and fierce passion. See website for details.
Tap Legacy Foundation - Founded in 2002 by tap dancers Gregory Hines and Andrew J. Nemr, TLF has been charged with preserving and advancing the art of tap dance. The foundation's programming is developed to ensure that the art form continues to thrive in the years to come while championing the cultural contribution tap dancers have made over the years.
- Tappers With Attitude - Founded in 1991, Tappers With Attitude is a multi-cultural group of teen tappers directed by Victoria Moss, with Assistant Directors Yvonne Edwards and Lisa Swenton-Eppard. Home base is Knock On Wood Tap Studio, just outside Washington DC.
- Tapology - Under the direction of Bruce Bradley, Tapology serves more than 2,000 people from students, adults and seniors, this program helps bring our residents together in a fun and festive atmosphere.
- Ten Toe Percussion Ensemble - his ensemble is a collective of internationally renowned percussive step dance soloists with musicians coordinated and directed b Ira Bernstein.
- Third Coast Rhythm Project - San Antonio's own annual tap dance festival under the direction of Barbara Phillilps.
Vancouver Tap Dance Society - VTDS was co founded by Lana Caputi and Sas Selfjord in 1995 and strives to be a leader in the promotion and preservation of ta p dance and is dedicated to developing an awareness of this art form.